Cocoa Beach is a city in Brevard County, Florida. The population was 11,231.
Cocoa Beach started its major growth during the 1960s (1000% population increase from 1950 to 1960)
as a result of America's space program.
NASA's John F. Kennedy Space Center is located approximately 15 miles north of town.
Many people moved to Cocoa Beach due to jobs connected to the space program and in search of new opportunities.
Some Factual Data
Median resident age: 55.7 years (Florida: 41.3 years)
Estimated median household income in 2011: $50,030 (it was $42,372 in 2000) (Florida: $44,299)
Estimated per capita income in 2011: $36,047
Estimated median house or condo value in 2011: $232,656 (it was $122,900 in 2000) (Florida: $151,000)
Mean prices in 2011:
- All housing units: $375,501
- Detached houses: $461,535
- Townhouses or other attached units: $289,457
- In 2-unit structures: $316,886
- In 3-to-4-unit structures: $270,555
- In 5-or-more-unit structures: $313,483
Median gross rent in 2011: $991.
- White alone - 10,920 (95.0%)
- Two or more races - 197 (1.7%)
- Hispanic - 180 (1.6%)
- Black alone - 69 (0.6%)
- Asian alone - 63 (0.5%)
- American Indian alone - 47 (0.4%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 22 (0.2%)
- German (19.5%)
- Irish (17.6%)
- English (11.5%)
- Italian (8.5%)
- United States (6.3%)
- Polish (4.5%)
For population 25 years and over in Cocoa Beach:
- High school or higher: 95.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 41.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 18.2%
- Unemployed: 9.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 21.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Cocoa Beach city:
- Never married: 22.0%
- Now married: 51.3%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 10.5%
- Divorced: 14.7%
Cocoa Beach compared to Florida state average:
- Median house value above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Number of rooms per house below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly above state average.